[sword-devel] Suggestion

Trevor Jenkins sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 04 Jan 2000 02:30:16 +0000

On Tuesday, 28 December, 1999 18:52:20, I wrote in reply to:

> On Monday, 27 December, 1999 01:04:40, Chris Little <chrislit@chiasma.org>
> wrote:
>
>> ...  If the search index file is present in
>> the module directory, it uses its search method,
>> otherwise it falls back on a linear search.
>
> One idle thought that presents itself would be to construct the indices as
> the user looks for things.

An even more idle thought I've just had is to construct the indices on the
first occasion that the user looks for anything. As the entire text has to
be scanned anyway in a linear search we can make that linear search more
productive by piggy-backing the scan required for the inverted file on top
it. The first search (of an uninverted module) would be very slow but
subsequent ones would be very fast. If the user can devote the additional
disk so that the index files are kept then it mean that thereafter every
search would be fast.

Regards, Trevor

British Sign Language is not inarticulate handwaving; it's a living
language. So recognise it now.

--

<>< Re: deemed!