[sword-devel] Re: DNS

Michael Paul Johnson sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 16:36:54 -0700

--=====================_178815583==_.ALT

At 17:23 2/23/2000 -0500, Geoffrey Hastings wrote:
>I noticed Online Bible now has more than one address.
>www.Onlinebible.org
>www.Onlinebible.com
>www.Onlinebible.net
>
>It would make it easy for anyone to find them.
>
>I know I have typed in www.sword.org and www.sword.net and found they are
>already taken. I didn't find anything at www.sword.com

A whois search shows sword.com to be taken by:
The Sword Group Inc.
41 W. Central St. #2
Natick, MA 01760

The reason they probably did that with the Online Bible site is not only to
make it easier to find, but to prevent someone else from using those names.
I kind of wish I had done that with eBible.org when I had the chance. At
the time, my budget was tighter and registering 3  domains instead of one
seemed excessive. Seeing eBible.com claim a trademark on "eBible" did
provoke me to protect WorldEnglishBible.org by also registering
WorldEnglishBible.com and WorldEnglishBible.net, as well. I couldn't roll
back the clock to claim eBible.com and prevent a possible trademark hassle.
Then again, with not only those three top level domains, but dozens of
country registries and some nontraditional registries as well, there are
limits to such thinking.

Relax. The offer of the free sword.cx domain will most likely be forever
rendered moot by someone else getting it, making Paul Gear happy. We still
have crosswire.org, which is a cool name for an electronic Bible
publication group.

_______

Michael Paul Johnson
http://ebible.org/mpj

--=====================_178815583==_.ALT

At 17:23 2/23/2000 -0500, Geoffrey Hastings wrote:<br>
address.<br>
It would make it easy for anyone to find them.<br>
I know I have typed in
found they are<br>
already taken. I didn't find anything at
A whois search shows sword.com to be taken by:<br>
41 W. Central St. #2 <br>
Natick, MA 01760 <br>
not only to make it easier to find, but to prevent someone else from
using those names. I kind of wish I had done that with eBible.org when I
had the chance. At the time, my budget was tighter and registering
3&nbsp; domains instead of one seemed excessive. Seeing eBible.com claim
a trademark on &quot;eBible&quot; did provoke me to protect
WorldEnglishBible.org by also registering WorldEnglishBible.com and
WorldEnglishBible.net, as well. I couldn't roll back the clock to claim
eBible.com and prevent a possible trademark hassle. Then again, with not
only those three top level domains, but dozens of country registries and
some nontraditional registries as well, there are limits to such
thinking.<br>
Relax. The offer of the free sword.cx domain will most likely be forever
rendered moot by someone else getting it, making Paul Gear happy. We
still have crosswire.org, which is a cool name for an electronic Bible
publication group.<br>