DNS (was Re: [sword-devel] God's Word translation; domain names)

Michael Paul Johnson sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 09:48:02 -0700

At 22:13 2/21/2000 +1000, Paul Gear wrote:
>Michael Paul Johnson wrote:

> so, surf

> > I'm not making the rules or changing them. I'm just reporting reality. The
> > fact of the matter is that the country extensions don't mean much,
>
>They mean quite a bit if they have .kr or .su on the end.  Try reading one of
>those pages!

OK, sometimes they do. In other cases, like .to, .nu, .cx, etc., they are
used more outside of the country they are registered in than inside.

> > and that
> > the demand for "good" domain names exceeds the supply in the US TLDs.
>
>Call me a whiner, but US should != TLD.  There was a proposal a few years
>back to
>add .com.us, .net.us, .gov.us, etc. to make the US fall into line with
>everyone
>else.  That would leave the TLDs open for only truly international
>organisations.
>It never happened, but it sure would have solved a lot of problems.

I think adding .com.us, .net.us, etc. to the existing geographical .us
allocation and the existing TLDs would have been a good idea to reduce
overcrowding, but it would have been a major bad idea to replace .com with
.com.us, etc., because it would break existing links.

_______

Michael Paul Johnson
http://ebible.org/mpj