[sword-devel] Re: DNS

Michael Paul Johnson sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 08:36:36 -0700

At 21:26 2/22/2000 +1000, you wrote:
>Daniel Glassey wrote:
>
> > Is there any harm in having an extra domain name if its free?
>
>Yes, if it is confusing and doesn't add any extra value.  (Which it certainly
>doesn't for Bibletime, given they've already got a very similar domain
>name, and i
>would argue doesn't really for CrossWire, either.)

It isn't confusing to most people, and it adds value as far as I'm
concerned. It may offend your traditional sense of net history, but face
it: the DNS conventions are changing rapidly and not many people care much
about the original design. They just want memorable names. I don't think it
will be much longer before some other changes will open up new TLDs that
aren't country-based (like .shop, .web, etc.) into the mainstream. Even
now, .md is more for medical doctors than the country it was allocated for.

More to the point, an extra domain name can add value when traffic picks up
as Sword improves, in that the extra domain can be pointed to a separate
mirror machine to spread the traffic out. Of course, that can be done with
just crosswire.org, too, in that you can assign third level domains (i. e.
mirror.crosswire.org).

Either way, it doesn't matter much to me, but with free domains to open
source projects, the offer is hard to pass up. As for me, I've already
registered two .cx domains.

_______

Michael Paul Johnson
http://ebible.org/mpj