[sword-devel] Testing the ISO image

Uwe Koloska sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 14:41:17 +0100

You wrote on Mit, 16 Feb 2000:
>Hi,
>
>here is a short first report of the tests on the image I did:
>
>Test on SuSE Linux 6.3
>setup.sh: no permission
>every other linux app: no permission
>
>When I remember right the permissions where rx for each group.

Normally on a proper setup Linux/Unix Box external Media (floppy, Zip, CD) all
are mounted without permission to execute.  You have to change your mount
options. When my CD is mounted "mount" shows:
  /dev/scd1 on /mnt/cdrom2 type iso9660 (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=koloska)

noexec, nosuid and nodev are important for security.  Otherwise some user can
mount a CD with some suid root programms and ...

a) mount it by hand:
       mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /mnd/cdrom
   without any options there only is a message that a CD can't be written ...

b) change your /etc/fstab so that a normal user can mount a CD but have the
   right to execute:
       /dev/scd0    /mnt/cdrom    iso9660   ro,noauto,user,exec,defaults   1  0
   'user' is the option that implies noexec, nosuid, nodev that has to be
   explicitly overwritten

Hope that helps
Uwe

--