[sword-devel] Another Important Issue

Nathan sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 07:01:01 +0200

Good day,

Joe wrote:
>To put the size in perspective. If you take every word in the KJV and
>search for it and store the results in whatever is the smallest of
>the 3 approaches mentioned, and store the lot in a big RandomAccessFile
>then the total size is 4.5Mb

The index size I got with just options 1 and 3 was 1.32 Mb. Adding option
2 will probably make it even smaller. The option 3 "bitmap" is 3888 bytes
(31102 / 8)  (sorry the 8.3K was wrong!) in size. I do not store the number
of times it occurs in the verse cause it is easier getting that at run-time.

>I've tarred up the code in question. And I'll place it at:
>  http://www.eireneh.com/passage.tar.gz
>It is all Java, and will only be of use for case A above.

Thank you, I will have a look at it!

God bless you,
nathan