[sword-devel] next release of curses port

sword-devel@crosswire.org sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 12:45:44 -0400 (EDT)

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:

> Richard,
> 	I tried 0.13.  Had a few troubles compiling, but it was my fault.  I
> had systemwide headers for SWORD 1.4.x on my box, and no libs, so when I
> saw your -L../../../lib, I figured that you had your package somewhere
> like: sword/apps/console/irenaeus
> 	When I place the package here, it found the libs (the 1.5.x libs!) and
> everything compiled fine, but core dumped.  ugh.  I finally figured it
> out and changed your -I in Makefile.in to -I../../../include to match
> the -L
I'll make that change.

> 	I like the 1,2,3,4 thing.  I think this will be really useful.  Are you
> thinking of making each number a new 'desktop'?
>
> 		-Troy.
A new desktop for each number is a possibility.
My actual intent is the following:
  I want to be able to change the window size for each of the screens.
  I want to be able to simultaneously display several of the screens.
  I want to add a 'linking' ability between screens.  By this I mean that
      I can say that both screen 2 and 5 should always point to the same
      verse.  Then when I move around in 2, 5 moves with it.  Similarly
      the ability to say that screen 2 and 5 should use the same module.
      Also the ability to say that screen 5 should also get displayed whenever
      I switch to screen 2.
  I want the ability to call macro files.  By this I mean that the user
   should be able to request that a file be executed within irenaeus.

Once I have all of these working, the user will then be able to
start up ir. as he can in 0.13, and then tell the program to run
a configuration file that sets up either:

interlinear (several translations simultaneously displayed on screen, and
move in sync)

module sync (look at several different verses at the same time, and then
switch to a different translation, or even commentary, and see the same
set of verses.)

emulation  (can make the interface resemble the setup of some other
front end.)

some configuration that he designed himself for whatever application
he has in mind.

several of the above, and switch between them.

Since posting 0.13, I have made some progress towards this.  I have just
berely (virtually no testing, but it worked on one file) gotten macro
files working,  I can with only minor glitches change window size
(at compile time) and display multiple screens (I removed
all calls to erase the entire screen).  Some of the structures to do the
proposed linking are in place, but not yet working.

Once I get home tonight, I will post my updated code on my site, and email
you.  I want to get the above parts mostly working before posting a 0.14.

> raholcom@eos.ncsu.edu wrote:
> >
> > Hi, I just wanted to say that I am putting out my latest revision
> > of the curses frontend for sword (irenaeus) on sourceforge.net.
> >
> > The main change that I have made is that the front end now acts
> > like it has several 'virtual terminals' like the virtual consoles of
> > linux.  Switch between them with number keys.  May seem like a strange
> > interface, but once I get more things working, I think it will make some
> > sense.
> >
> > Richard Holcombe

Richard Holcombe