[sword-devel] Apocrypha?

geoffrey W Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 16:05:28 -0700

I don't believe I would like the Apocrypha to be put into the same module
as the KJV.
I would not want to have to remember to do searches in custom search to
omit the Apocrypha from my results.
I wouldn't want seaches of the Apocrypha to pull up results from the KJV
either.
It might lead to confusion in instances where more than one person use
the same computer if they do not all have the understanding that they are
tied together, say in a church or bible college library etc...

Geoff  Hastings
geoffreyhastings@juno.com

On Sun, 6 Aug 2000 20:41:41 -0700 (MST) <chrislit@www.crosswire.org>
writes:

> On Sun, 6 Aug 2000, J. Solomon Kostelnik wrote:
>
> > If SWORD supports the markup aspect, then all we'd need is a
> program to create the necessary verse-lookup? (.vss) file for the
> Apocrypha.  Does such an animal exist? :)
>
> The problem is that SWORD doesn't have a clue about anything outside
> the
> standard 66 book canon.  Most of the grunt work in adding Apocrypha
> support is probably in the canon.h file where the book/chapter index
> arrays are held for each testament and the canon list/book orderings
> are
> held.  That much I have completed from a while back, but there's
> still a
> bit more to do and I haven't had time to figure out what.  If anyone
> wants
> my modified canon.h file to complete adding apocrypha support,
> please mail
> me.
>
> A .vss generating indexer for Apocrypha doesn't really exist.  Once
> support is included in the library, the existing indexers coudl be
> modified to recognize Apocrypha fairly easily I suspect.
>
> Apocyrpha support raises another question of how we should package
> such
> portions of modules.  The KJV Apocrypha,for example, should probably
> go in
> the same directory as our current KJV module, on the client's
> computer.
> However, I doubt the majority of our users who download the KJV
> module
> would want to be given the Apocrypha as part of their download
> (whether
> for bandwidth/filesize reasons or their concerns with orthodoxy).
> So we
> would need to provide a manner for parts of modules (e.g. the KJV
> Apocrypha) to not be downloaded.  Or we would need a method for
> installing
> supplements to modules to the same directory as the primary files.
> And
> I'm not sure if this may conflict with our current Installers or the
> servlet on Crosswire.
>
> --Chris Little

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.