[sword-devel] Apocrypha?

sword-devel@crosswire.org sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 6 Aug 2000 20:41:41 -0700 (MST)

On Sun, 6 Aug 2000, J. Solomon Kostelnik wrote:

> If SWORD supports the markup aspect, then all we'd need is a program to create the necessary verse-lookup? (.vss) file for the Apocrypha.  Does such an animal exist? :)

The problem is that SWORD doesn't have a clue about anything outside the
standard 66 book canon.  Most of the grunt work in adding Apocrypha
support is probably in the canon.h file where the book/chapter index
arrays are held for each testament and the canon list/book orderings are
held.  That much I have completed from a while back, but there's still a
bit more to do and I haven't had time to figure out what.  If anyone wants
my modified canon.h file to complete adding apocrypha support, please mail
me.

A .vss generating indexer for Apocrypha doesn't really exist.  Once
support is included in the library, the existing indexers coudl be
modified to recognize Apocrypha fairly easily I suspect.

Apocyrpha support raises another question of how we should package such
portions of modules.  The KJV Apocrypha,for example, should probably go in
the same directory as our current KJV module, on the client's computer.
However, I doubt the majority of our users who download the KJV module
would want to be given the Apocrypha as part of their download (whether
for bandwidth/filesize reasons or their concerns with orthodoxy).  So we
would need to provide a manner for parts of modules (e.g. the KJV
Apocrypha) to not be downloaded.  Or we would need a method for installing
supplements to modules to the same directory as the primary files.  And
I'm not sure if this may conflict with our current Installers or the
servlet on Crosswire.

--Chris Little