[Fwd: Re: [sword-devel] WIN32RC4 available]

Jerry Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 17:31:07 -0700

At 08:52 AM 4/18/2000 -0700, DeMeulenaere, Darren wrote:
>Ok, I have figured out what might have been my problem.  I have been using
>netscape 4.7 to download them.  If I put in the web page below in netscape
>it would load the file to the page and then I would save as and sword.chm
>would come up as the name.  I saved it and it wouldn't work.  The test.chm I
>did a while ago, I cut and pasted the url (netscape is my default) into IE5
>and it brought up where to save file to (instead of displaying to screen
>first) and then when I ran it, it worked fine.  I was able to get both
>sword.chm and swordtest.chm to work with no problems downloading it from IE5
>(though I am not a huge fan of IE5), but using netscape they didn't work.  I
>wonder if others that were having problems used netscape to download?

I am somewhat surprised that a saved file is different depending on whether
it was saved in Netscape or IE. Years ago BBS sysops had a problem with the
Online Bible. Some transfer protocols padded the end of the files with
zeros and changed the dates. That would change the CRC of the file and it
would not install. The answer then was to ZIP the files, so they would
unzip after downloading with the original size and dates. But, I am
surprised that something like that would still be a problem today.

Jerry