[sword-devel] WOW

Fri, 19 Nov 1999 17:01:25 -0700

Just got back from COMDEX.  Nice to see all the posts.

Just to dispell some rumors... :)

  o	All versions of SWORD build fine (and by default) without sapphire.
  o	the RPM and WIN32 binaries include only _decipher_ support of
	sapphire builtin, thus making them legally exportable
  o	I just tested the NIV key on my clean solaris box and it works
	correctly provided that sapphire support is included and turned on
	appropriately.  Let's see what might not be working on your install
	of sword.  If you could, please post how you attempted to get it
	working...

Comdex was ok, the Linux Business Expo was really cool.  The Borland
guys took me to dinner for helping them fix their JBuilder install for
Linux on their show computer :)  I had a long talk with one of the chief
engineers working on the C++Builder port to linux.  It sounds really
cool.  Tentative date is March.  I gave him my 2 cents worth of what I
would think an ideal port to linux would include (autoconf support;
freely distr. VCL.so to let others still compile and link without the
tool; etc.)  He took a CD of sword and was interested to see how we were
doing crossplatform development.  Hopefully he'll also be interested in
the CONTENT. :)

Corel showed previews of parts of their Office2000 product running on
Linux.  Really cool stuff.

Caldera had a really big booth and was showcasing our (Evergreen's)
ecommerce software during sessions on their big screen.  That was really
cool.

Torsten or Joachim, would it be possible for someone to grab the
sapphire files from that .ee site that MPJ listed and distribute them
from bibletime's site?  I will link from crosswire's site to yours and
that should solve the US export restriction matter.

CVS is up and running.  anonymous access is available by setting:
$ export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@cvs.crosswire.org:/usr/local/cvsroot
$ cvs login
password: anonymous
$ cvs checkout sword

write access will be given upon pleading your case to:
sword-patches@crosswire.org
If this email address is foreign to you, you probably will not be
granted access :)

	God's blessings,
		-Troy.