[sword-devel] Sorry, I can't export sapphire.zip, but...

Kirt Christensen sword-devel@crosswire.org
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 08:02:20 -0500

I'm sorry, I have read just a few previous emails to this response below
and sense that I'm jumping in on something I don't fully understand.
I'm enjoying watching you all work and am  sorry that I haven't had much
opportunity to get involved due to a barrage of Windows CE work that I'm
in the midst of.  So there is a hint of hypocrisy in my thoughts
here.....

To the point, protecting against piracy to make this effort more
commercially attractive to retailers seems a strange conversation for
your mission as I understood it.  If, as some projections conservatively
speculate, there are in the next 30 years some 20 Billion people on this
planet, by what mechanisms will you retail?  Through what distribution
systems will you make these Words available to them?  With what money,
in such an economically controlled  environment where resources are so
key to survival, will they pay for these Bibles?  And who will be in
control of that system of world commerce?

You men are sacrificing your personal time and money in the foundations
of things that are a bit more important than appealing to commercial
retailers.  On the other hand, perhaps your conversation is really just
applicable to the confines our Sanitized, Westernized, Americanized,
Christian bubble......which is soon to pop.