[sword-devel] Suggestion

Mon, 27 Dec 1999 01:24:42 -0700

> I think it would be very interesting to implement a pre-computed index
> system that is optional for the user.  I.e. if the user wants to save disk
> space, he grabs the basic stuff we have right now (or preferrably a
> compressed version), but if he wants to save time on searches, he grabs the
> pre-computed search index as well.  If the search index file is present in
> the module directory, it uses its search method, otherwise it falls back on
> a linear search.

As we have a need to support everything from servers to palm pilots, our
API will remain as modular as possible, including enhanced search
functionality.  No worries here.

> We maintain cross-endian compatability by having everything in little-endian
> and converting to big where necessary (just Solaris so far).  It's done in
> the library, so the modules are the same for both schemes and the front ends
> don't need to worry about this either, though I'm not actually sure if
> anyone has compiled a frontend on Solaris.  That's Solaris on Sun cpus, of
> course, not intel.

Yeah, cheatah compiles and runs fine on an Ultra5 running Solaris 2.6

Just to restate what Chris has said.  We DO NOT have multiple file
formats per operating system.  I run a dual boot system between a WIN32
environment and a Linux install and have 1 module set installed for
both.  This has always been a high priority from the start.