[sword-devel] apocrypha

Yeshiah Zalman sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 19:28:09 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_001D_01BF4A57.2ECF2200

>   Although many Protestant Christians do
>not accept the canonicity of the Apocrypha of course, it does at least
>provide useful background to the Bible and also for that matter, the
>Jewish faith.   =20

As a Historian of the Hebrew bible I would like to correct this error. =
the Apocrypha provides little accurate background to authentic Judaism =
of that time period. since the LXX was written for a gentile king and =
used by assymilated jews much as today the reform prefer english over =
Hebrew. this gives a distorted view of judaism by any temporal =
mesurement. The LXX was not accepted nor used by Judaism proper. But was =
popular as a phylosophical book by the roman populace who put emphasis =
on knowledge for knowledges sake. This history explains the errors in =
the LXX when compared to the DSS, sameritan pentateuch, and Masoretic =
texts. Its only purpose is as a canonical book of early christianity as =
a whole and by the Vatican after the reformation.

this is just one of many things and reasons why the DSS have been slow =
in publicity.
shayah

Dont worry, I still would like to see a translation including apocrypha =
for study. I suggest renumbering it according to standard KJV usage and =
placing native verse numbering in () when the differ.=20

------=_NextPart_000_001D_01BF4A57.2ECF2200

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp; Although many Protestant Christians do<BR>&gt;not =
accept=20
the canonicity of the Apocrypha of course, it does at =
least<BR>&gt;provide=20
useful background to the Bible and also for that matter, =
the<BR>&gt;Jewish=20
faith.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>As a Historian of the Hebrew bible I would like to correct this =
error. the=20
Apocrypha provides little accurate background to authentic Judaism of =
that time=20
period. since the LXX was written for a gentile king and used by =
assymilated=20
jews much as today the reform prefer english over Hebrew. this gives a =
distorted=20
view of judaism by any temporal mesurement. The LXX was not accepted nor =
used by=20
Judaism proper. But was popular as a phylosophical book by the roman =
populace=20
who put emphasis on knowledge for knowledges sake. This history explains =
the=20
errors in the LXX when compared to the DSS, sameritan pentateuch, and =
Masoretic=20
texts. Its only purpose is as a canonical book of early christianity as =
a whole=20
and by the Vatican after the reformation.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>this is just one of many things and reasons why the DSS have been =
slow in=20
publicity.</DIV>
<DIV>shayah</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Dont worry, I still would like to see a translation including =
apocrypha for=20
study. I suggest renumbering it according to standard KJV usage and =
placing=20
native verse numbering in () when the differ. </DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001D_01BF4A57.2ECF2200--