[sword-devel] thml widget ?

Birger Langkjer sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 18:32:14 +0100

Den ons, 08 dec 1999 03:41:52 Chris Little skrev:

..

> ThML isn't necessary for Bible texts.  It's primarily a markup language and
> GBF seems better suited to Bible markup than ThML.  Even if we did have ThML
> marked Bible texts, we would still have to re-index them.

I think ThML plans to go beyound mere markup, here's from the description:

   Designing a Theological Markup Language

   A language for theological study must handle the markup of text into
   headings, paragraphs, block quotes, emphasized text, and other basic
   structural elements that are common to all books and can be
   represented in a markup language such as HTML. Markup needs for
   theological study that go beyond these basics include the special
   handling of scripture references, numbering and synchronization
   schemes such as Strongs numbers, handling multiple versions or
   translations of the same text, handling footnotes, index entries,
   lexicons, and representing page breaks in the original text.

   For the use of digital libraries, bibliographic data about the text
   should be represented. In fact, bibliographic data about two texts may
   have to be represented: the electronic text and the book from which it
   originated. Such a language should also represent subject
   classifications, edit history, and other relevant meta-data. If the
   language also represents scripture references, subject index entries,
   and names, it is possible to build indexes for individual books as
   well as library-wide indexes of these references.

.. etc

http://ccel.org/ThML

> I will take a look at the two Danish Bible sources you mentioned, though.
> Are they the same translation as the one we currently use for SWORD?

Yes, AFAIK there is only one that is in the public domain. We are not a big language group as you can imagine.

I think it would be really nice to have just one edition to maintain (I'm mainly thinking of the vanilla text Gutenberg version) and then build the other versions (thml, html, GBF, sword) from that with a few select scripts everytime there's is new version of the 'mother' edition. However I don't know if this is practical or not. Of course you wont be able to use any of the advanced features of thml or GBF like footnotes and so on.

Med venlig hilsen/Best regards
Birger Langkjer
http://members.xoom.com/langkjer