[sword-devel] Copyright Scripture distribution

Paul Gear sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 07 Dec 1999 11:11:19 +0000

Brandon Staggs wrote:

> I suppose I could agree that since the NIV is an extremely dynamic
> equivalant translation, then it really did constitute a creative work, but I
> still think it's a stretch.

Not to distract too much from the point here (which i think is quite valid),
but the NIV is not an extremely dynamic equivalent translation.  In fact, it is
very borderline between formal equivalence and dynamic equivalence.  There are
a number of translations on my shelf that are far more dynamic.  This is why i
think the NIV is such a good translation overall - it strikes an excellent
balance.  Pity about the copyright issue...

Paul
---------
"He must become greater; i must become less." - John 3:30
http://www.bigfoot.com/~paulgear