[sword-devel] Copyright Scripture distribution

Pergamum sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sat, 4 Dec 1999 02:28:10 -0600

Quite frankly, Sir, I was glad to see that this letter is so long,  It shows
others what can be accomplished if Christians take a stand.  Sadly, however
it also proves my point about many of these organizations only caring if
souls are brought to Christ *If* they can take the credit for it and most
importantly, if they can make a PROFIT off the person's conversion.  It is
petty, narrow-minded, and though it may be perfectly legal in a secular
legal system wherein the vested interest is to exalting the word of
government over the Word of GOD, it is wrong.  These people will spew all
the "protecting GOD's Word from the pink-o-commies" all they want... but it
is painfully obvious by even the sugar-coated responses you were given, that
the only thing they are interesting in protecting is their "profit-margin".
Another sad thing is that an old metal band I used to listen to "Suicidal
Tendencies" (shock-value name) reiterates the attitude of many of these
"ministry-minded" companies and organizations.  I'll paraphrase the lyric
"Now if you can only send a dollar or two, there ain't a whole lot I can
promise to you... but if you want to see Heaven's door, make out a check for
$500 or more."  later in the song it also says "I want you to make it hurt
when you dig into your pockets.  It makes me feel so good to make my profits
rocket."  (Oddly it is easier to get permission to repost that lyric than it
is for me to get permission to post a verse from the Holy Word of GOD.)
The thing is that THAT is the exact mindsets that many heathens have towards
Christians today BECAUSE of these greedy corporate publishers and others
like them that CLAIM to be doing GOD's work.  That is why I say that THEY,
not us for thinking their "proper use statements" immoral, are doing more
damage to the Body of  Christ and dishonoring him among the heathens.
At any rate, great letter Joel!  Keep up the great work.

In Christ Jesus,
Pergamum
(Skip)