[sword-devel] Copyrighted Texts Summary

Jerry Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Sun, 05 Dec 1999 00:54:30 -0700

At 05:18 AM 12/4/1999 -0800, webmedic wrote:
>Also about this in my talks with Chicago university press and yale university
>press I found out that the copyright law was just extended to I think it
was 95
>years. So if it wasn't in the public domain by a couple of months ago it will
>take another 20 years.

It looks to me like works from 1923 to 1997 could be copyrighted for 95
years. Those through 1963 needed to be renewed or they are now PD. Anything
before 1923 is PD.
Also, for new works it is 95 years from the date of publication for a
corporate authorship but only 120 years from creation if that is less, and
it is now life+75 years for the work of a person.

Jerry