[osis-core] Re: divineName

Patrick Durusau Patrick.Durusau at sbl-site.org
Fri Oct 29 11:11:50 MST 2004

Jim,

Jim_Albright at wycliffe.org wrote:
> YHWH is the only one with small caps so that is the one that needs to be
> marked special. There isn't a printing need to mark the
> other divine names .... we don't get much mileage out of that work. We
> already have tools that will extract all verse with divine names for
> comparison.

Hmmm, but the NIV notes that it uses LORD (all caps) for YHWH, and Lord
(lowercase) for Adonai. As well as regular phrases for the other forms
of the divine name.

Seems to me that being able to test the expected string based upon the
form of the name noted as an attribute value would be an advantage.

I guess I am seeing this as more than simply a printing need,
considering the need to search for different forms of the divine name,
compare how translations handle the different forms of the name, etc.

Hope you are looking forward to a great weekend!

Patrick

Patrick.Durusau at sbl-site.org