[osis-core] sidebars

Tue, 24 Feb 2004 15:06:43 -0500

> Patrick and Chris,
>
> I don't think we should add "sidebar" at any point.  The notes (or other
> content that are not notes) that may be presented to the side should be
> encoded as a specific type of note using the already existing note
> types.  Where they get rendered is a matter of layout and presentation.

Agree in terms of encoding modern texts, it is a matter of layout.

The harder question is when we reach manuscript markup, which we may
very well leave alone, where it is important to record the presentation
of the prior text, not necessarily to duplicate its layout in
presentation but to record "the fact that" it was so presented.

Marginal notes (the equivalent of the modern side-bar) marked as such
with their location keyed to a particular portion of text, alert someone
doing analysis of the text as to what material was presented to the
original reader of the text.

But, as I said, this is not an issue for modern texts, which really have
no layout until we impose one with a stylesheet.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick