[osis-core] Block quotes

Fri, 20 Feb 2004 13:15:43 -0500

Greetings!

More of Chris on USFM:

> USFM uses various paragraph formatting conventions
> (e.g. intented/unindented block quotes) to mark letters, inscriptions,
> and potentially other large quotations from external sources.  These
> should be somehow indicated.
>
> My initial suggestion was to use <q
> type="letter|inscription|...">. (Deprecating <inscription> and
> simplifying the model.  There are instances in the Apocrypha where
> very large inscriptions are quoted, which include paragraphs
> themselves.  These aren't possible in the current content model.)
>
> Steve suggested that we use new <div> types for to mark these.
>
> Troy thinks <q> should only refer to quotations of speech.  (Evidenced
> previously in his objection to marking OT quotations in the NT with
> <q> and more recently by his objection to marking commentary annotants
> with <q>.)

Have to agree with Troy that the semantics of <q> do refer to quotations
of speech, although they could contain someone reading an inscription.
(as is allowed by our schema)

<inscription> looks like it should be modified to to allow <p> inside.

Not sure what you mean by "mark letters?" Woundn't that simply be a

Leaning towards Steve's suggestion that we suggest <div> (with
appropriate types) and fix <inscription>.

Would that cover all the cases you are aware of?

Hope everyone is having a great day!