[osis-core] cell content alignment

Fri, 20 Feb 2004 11:53:20 -0500

Greetings,

Chris posted the following on alignment in cells:

> Right/left justified & centered table cells
>
> The contents of table cells, like poetic lines, may be right or left
> justified or centered.
>
> An solution similar to that for <l> is one possibility.

His solution for <l> was:

> <l type="unknown" subType="start|center|end"> for \q1, \qc, & \qr,
> respectively, assuming LtR text.

***Comments on his <l> solution:

While I have liked a lot of his solutions, this one is the exception.
Sorry Chris!

I don't see "start|center|end" as being subtypes of <l>. For example, I
could be marking poetry and have:

<l type="poetry" subType="2syllables">
<l type="poetry" subType="4syllables">
<l type="poetry" subType="6syllables">
<l type="poetry" subType="8syllables">
<l type="poetry" subType="2syllables">

Lest Todd think that is contrived, it is actually a form of poetry
invented by the American poet Adelaid Crapsey. Known as Cinquain. (Yes,
I cheated and Googled for poetry to find that example. see,
http://www.mca.k12.nf.ca/subpro5.htm)

****Back to the cell problem****

Note that <cell> can contain 31 one other elements (see the chart that
Steve and I labored so hard to prepare), so <cell> is not the only place
where you could record formatting information.

Depending upon what is inside the <cell> there may be a legitimate
element on which to base a particular formating. Or, you may simply want
all content of cells left, centered or right aligned. Don't see what
putting an attribute on <cell> really buys us.

Unless, of course, you think people should be able to left justfy some
cells, center others and still others right justify? Seems unlikely at
best. I would set the style for the table to do one formatting to all
the contents of the cells.

The only table as such that I could find quicking in the NIV is the
Harmony of the Gospels and that is all aligned left.

Unless of course you are talking about tables that were used for
formatting and not encoding structure. All bets are off on those.

Hope you are having a great day!