[osis-core] Verse numbers in notes

Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:05:35 -0500

Greetings,

Chris posted shorly after the meeting a list of issues which I am
working through. An easy one (I think) is Verse numbers in notes:

> Similar to the problem of unbalanced quotes, <note> elements may
> include verse numbers (likely in embedded <catchWord> or <rdg>
> elements).  These should not be marked by <verse> since they do not
> mark actual verses in the text.
>
> The best solution we came up with was: <seg type="verseNumber">1</seg>
>
> A very yucky solution, that assumes all verse numbers are rendered as
> superscript, would be: <hi type="super">1</seg>.

But isn't the verse number in the <note> element a reference to that
verse? And so, why not use the <reference> element?

Note that you could render, with a stylesheet, all the references in a
note bold or something. NIV does not render verse references in notes
(except for the beginning of the note, something like a title) bold,
whereas the Oxford Study Bible (RSV) has notes with what I would call
sub-notes that are not distinguished except for the reference being bolded.

Hope everyone is having a great day!