[osis-core] User manual bug list - 24

Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:15:17 -0700

>24. OSIS type?
>Seciton 7.3.7 - If there is an OSIS type, then the legal types need to
be >listed here. If there is not an OSIS type, then remove it from the
example. >Submitted by: Jim Schaad, jimsch@nwlink.com

7.3.7. type
The nature or genre of the content of the resource. This element
includes terms describing general categories, functions, genres, or
aggregation levels for content. Dublin Core's recommended best practice
is to select a value from a controlled vocabulary (for example, the DCMI
Type Vocabulary -- see
http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-type-vocabulary/). OSIS does not
provide such a controlled vocabulary at this time. If you encode this
element, the controlled vocabulary in use should be identified via the
type attribute (for example, <type type="DCMI">). To describe the
physical or digital manifestation of the resource, use the format
element instead.

Note that the Dublin Core type element is distinct from the OSIS type
attribute (the latter can occcur on any OSIS element, to distinguish
relevant subdivisions of the type).

Resolution:
Agree with Jim, we should fix the example to be valid relative to the
schema.

In Grand Rapids, we discussed but did not resolve values for <type
type="OSIS">.  We should indicate in the manual that such values have
not been defined should be expected in the future.

Todd