[osis-core] Re: OSIS (2)

Wed, 21 Apr 2004 23:49:17 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Fred Mellings wrote:

> "Sounds" a bit complicated to me and it doesn't look like the other books
> follow that sort of pattern.

The reason it is a bit complicated is because you're actually encoding two
distinct documents (a Protestant Bible and a Catholic Bible) with two
distinct reference systems in a single file.  Normally we default the work
part of the osisID, but if you need to encode two reference systems, you
can state the work explicitly.

> Here is the Apocrypha present list plus the 91DNT file
> The first bit is the supplied name of the book e.g. 67tob.sfm
> Fred
> ******************
> 67tob.sfm Tob
> 68jdt.sfm Jdt
> 69esg.sfm AddEsth

This one (AddEsth) is actually incorrect.  The SFM book code "ESG" should,
properly, refer to Greek Esther, i.e. the deuterocanonical/Catholic/LXX
version of Esther, in its entirety.  The OSIS book code "AddEsth",
following SBL, refers exclusively to the portions of Greek Esther that are
absent from the Hebrew version of Esther.  I.e. it refers only to the
_additions_ to Esther.  In OSIS, both the Greek and Hebrew versions of
Esther would be identified with "Esth".  If both occur within a single
file, they would need to be disambiguated with a work ID, as described in
my previous email.

--Chris