[osis-core] Inconsistent use of type on date

Wed, 17 Sep 2003 11:15:38 -0600

Patrick,

Thanks for the explanation.

This seems to be a problem we should address.

I think it would be more consistent with the use of "type" on other
elements to have "type" be the use 1st edition, eversion, etc... and add
an attribute named "calendar" that enumerates the other values.  Because
this is a special behavior for <date> is makes sense to use a special
attribute and not use the general purpose "type" attribute.

The problem is that the current schema uses "type" for what would become
"calendar".  My opinion is that is would be better to have consistent
meaning for "type" and deprecate the use of ISO, etc... for "type".  I
would be in favor of an outright change of osisDate but would be OK with
leaving osisDate with a mixture in OSIS 2.0 and then removing ISO,
etc... with the next major release.  Naturally the documentation would
instruct the user.

Todd

> Todd,
>
> The problem was that in the documentation Steve was using at ABS, he
> used the type attribute on <date> to specify for <work> information
such
> as 1st edition, eversion, etc. The sort of stuff you expect to see
with
> Dublin Core metadata.
>
> Some bright soul noticed the type in <date> is defined to be the sort
of
> calendar that is in use in the <date> element. (ISO, gregorian,
chinese,
> etc.)
>
> The problem is that people want to be able to say what the <date>
> element represents and we have no place for that at the moment.
>
> Steve's suggestion is that we use "event" as an attribute.
>
> Hope you are having a great day!
>
> Patrick
>
> Todd Tillinghast wrote:
> > Patrick and Steve,
> >
> > I went back through the history and am trying to make sense of this
> > issue.
> >
> > Can you give an example of the problem?
> >
> > Todd

ref="globalWithoutType"/>