[osis-core] Selah

Kirk Lowery osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Fri, 05 Sep 2003 08:34:02 -0400

Todd Tillinghast wrote:
> What element should we use to encode "Selah" when it appears by it self
> on a line after a block of text?
>
> Are there any special elements or should this be a <seg type="x-selah">
> or a <p type="x-selah"> or something else?
>
> Thoughts?

I'm not familiar enough with the total range of OSIS elements to
comment here. But let me address the nature of the beastie: selah is
some sort of musical -- *not* poetic! -- notation. We really don't
know what it means, but one thing is clear: it segments the text (in
linguistic jargon: it is a discourse disjunctive, marking some sort of
textual boundary). As for its role in information markup: it should be
associated in some with with the text group that *preceeds* it.

My $0.02. :-P

Blessings,

Kirk
--
Kirk E. Lowery, Ph.D.
Director, Westminster Hebrew Institute

Theorie ist, wenn man alles weiss und nichts klappt.
Praxis ist, wenn alles klappt und keiner weiss warum.
Bei uns sind Theorie und Praxis vereint:
nichts klappt und keiner weiss warum!