[osis-core] paragraph break defended once again.

Sat, 11 Oct 2003 21:00:36 -0700

Patrick,

Patrick Durusau wrote:
> Troy,
>
> Would probably need to be paraBreak since pb generally (in TEI land
> anyway) thought of as page break.

In OSIS land too (see osisMilestonePt).

> Any serious objections to adding paraBreak to the enumerated milestone
> types?

Well... yeah.  I see this going down a bad road that we've traveled
before.  It's going to lead to two ways to markup the same document, and
I can see plenty of people thinking they need to do both, i.e.

> I think Troy has a good point that there will be breaks in texts that
> need to be marked and we won't know if they are containers or some other
> division.

But what's more, I really can't conceive of any use for it.  Could
someone think up a use case for it?  I would concede if there were some
actual use in marking e.g. manuscripts.

Having already done the conversion of the NASB from Lockman's DTD to
OSIS once myself, I can state that Troy's usage of anything other than
  There is no ambiguity as to what is intended by their use of their DTD
in their document--in fact it's probably the cleanest & most lucidly
marked document I've ever encountered.

Let me put it this way: Paragraph breaks necessarily follow (or possibly
come between?) paragraphs.  In order to have one, you must have the
other.  Paragraphs are blocks of content that deserve to go inside a
container (<p>).  What Troy is suggesting is that there is no such thing
as a paragraph in the NASB--only paragraph breaks.

It just makes no sense to me to add a type to milestone for a case
already handled by a special element (<p>).  It's maddness, if you will. :)

--Chris