[osis-core] proposal: <cite> for OT Quote in NT

Troy A. Griffitts osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Tue, 07 Oct 2003 11:40:59 -0700

Kirk, Thanks for the examples of other occurrences where we might use an
element that means to cite without claiming the exactly wording of the
original author.

Everyone,

	I would like to suggest that we add, e.g. <cite osisRef="abednahr">text
of the citation</cite>

	This new element would designate to a segment of text: allusion to or
excerpt from, and assign credit to, a source, WITHOUT the libel
implications of, and asserting the author is claiming, a direct quotation.

Other support for this need:

	When writing a research paper, many sources are cited (traditionally
designated with superscripts and endnotes).  Of these citations, there
are usually 2 distinct types: a) ones where the author quotes the source
directly, which he will use QUOTE (") to designate; b) ones the author
merely paraphrases and appeals to for authority.

	Also, note that I have not claimed <q> and <cite> to be mutually
exclusive for a segment of text.  I can imagine something like this:

Todd claims, <cite osisRef="ToddT">SIL is bringing together a USFM
sample document that <q>represents complete usage</q> of the
specification.</cite>

	I realize that I am proposing a change while holding a minority share
in the pool of people who have expressed preference, to this point.  So,
discussion and comments are very much welcome.

	-Troy.