[osis-core] Subject of Texts?

Wed, 26 Jun 2002 07:44:12 -0400

Greetings,

Following up on Harry's question yesterday:

>I'd rather have a way of saying "I'm a commentary on
>verse xxx", or "I'm a sermon on passage xxx", or "I'm
>a versification of psalm xxx", etc.

Harry: As I understand the stream of postings yesterday, this is
something different from the attributes on the <a> element or other
pointers?

In other words, a portion of a text (leaving aside the level of the
element for the moment) should be able to say "what" it is about?

By way of example:

well as differences. It is important to note that both end on the same
note of humble acquiesence before the inscrutable divine will. The
Sumerian composition is the earliest treatment of the problem of
suffering in Mesopotamia, the forerunner of similar compositions
considered below.</p>

Job: A New Translation with Introduction and Commentary, Marvin H. Pope,
Anchor Bible Series, page LX.

so one possibility (I am not wedded to the syntax/names, just
illustrating the problem) would be:

parallel" subject3="Mesopotamian theodicy" subject4="theodicy">

Note that I have answered Harry's question of "what am I" with type (may
need some other attribute as type gets used too quickly) and suggested
that the separate question of "what am I applied to" (Harry suggested
verses but could have other targets as well) with the subject attributes.

I don't really expect people to use this at the <p> level but just
choose that arbitrarily to use in the illustration. More likely to be at
the osisText (for an entire text) or perhaps at the <div> level for a
commentary that breaks a book of the Bible into sets of verses.

This is similar to what I think we are discussing for <a> but I think it
should be carefully distinguished. In this case, I am making a claim
about the content of the element and its subject (not a target in the
linking sense).

In the case of the <a> element, which I am about to cover in a separate
post, I am saying there is a link and then making statements about the
link. If we confuse those two cases, then we artifically (and
unnecessarily in my opinion) limit the amount of information that we can
record for a text.

Comments?