[osis-core] scripCom

Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:27:20 -0400

Harry,

Its late in the day (for me, I'm an early riser) but I will be sending
out the latest version knowing this is still an open issue. I wanted to
try to see if I can repeat your requirements to make sure I am
understanding them:

At the document or div level, you want to be able to identify the
"subject" (I know loaded term but all I know to use) of that document or
div. In other words, it is not a pointer (in the HTML or XLink sense)
but rather an identifier of what I am about? It may also, depending upon
the syntax, operate as a pointer but that is not its primary function?

Not sure but seems to me that should be separated from the link/pointer
function because you might want to say: subject="Garden of Eden" for
example, across a set of commentaries and that is probably not a valid
pointer, at least to a canonical reference.

Certainly something you should be able to do and I agree that while a
verse might carry a subject attribute (like the indexes that point you
to particular verses for certain issues) I would not rely upon the verse
to carry the information for a commentary.

Verses are not "I am this" but rather their IDs are "I am this" as I
understand our syntax. References are a way of pointing from one passage
to another using canonical references (OT passages in the NT for
example) and I guess you could say there is an implicit "I am about" but
it is really more of a way to identify intertextual references than the
subject claim that  you are asking about.

So, the question is how do we allow elements, and at what level, to make
claims about their "subject?" I suppose that a sermon could change
subjects and therefore it would be reasonable to expect that the
"subject" attribute would change.

Does validation of such "subject" claims require something other than
xs:string? Or can we put the burden on the user of choosing a set of
"subjects" that are meaning full?

I assume this is different from the excellent list of link attributes
that you sent a little while ago? (Another open issue!)

Patrick