[osis-core] Overlapping Summary??

Fri, 21 Jun 2002 06:45:16 -0400

Greetings,

Note that I have qualified this post with ??? as I am not sure the
following represents a consensus on this issue. It is an attempt to
state what may be a consensus with a request for comments and corrections.

For OSIS 1.1 (our current release candidate):

Overlap will be treated by segmentation of (primarily verses but other
elements as well) the crossing element. (Need to specify which one gives
way.)

Segments of verses that cross will bear the same verseID (it is not type
= "xs:ID" so duplicates don't matter) along with next/prev attributes
that have the string value of the verseID followed by an underscore and
a lower case ASCII letter (a-z) to indicate its position in the segment.

(Reasoning that XQuery/XPath will find all segments bearing the same
verseID attribute and return the entire verse.)

Questionable summary: I have heard both that we should do a separate
module with empty elements (bearing element name semantics) as well as
using my earlier suggestion of the default XML empty elements (where
content model does not require content).

The difference being that for OSIS 2.0, that the semantics of the empty
elements be declared to have a container relationship, while in OSIS
1.1, they are simply empty elements.

I actually like the Steve/Harry suggestion on defining the semantics
rather than my more back-door hack on the default syntax of XML. I think
I could make my solution work as is, but it might be more confusing in
the long run and that is a definite disadvantage.

Suggestion: Should I clean up the current schema to focus solely on
segmentation (with appropriate attributes) and work on an additional
module that has the most common crossing elements with the semantics of
milestones? Same attributes that they have now in fuller form (although
we need to proof those as well). The module could make it clear that
these carry the semantics of being empty elements but that they carry
attribute information (with proper use) that will allow that semantic to
change to containership in OSIS 2.0?

Suggestions for syntax or commentary?

Comments?