[osis-core] Identifiers for segmented verses.

Wed, 5 Jun 2002 13:04:24 -0500

As a "best practice" I would like to propose that when verses are
segmented that we use the reference identifier for the whole verse for
the segment that begins the verse (Matt.13.3) and then use the reference
including the appropriate grain for the further segments
(Matt.13.3:char:43(Once)).

It is not appropriate to say Matt.13.3a unless the reference system of
the translation being used has defined Matt.13.3a as a verse identifier.
In this case the verse IS NOT SEGMENTED but there is simply more than
one verse in this reference system that map to a single verse in other
reference systems.

Neither would Matt.13.3.a be appropriate because unless the reference
system has identified a four component strategy of references.
(Josephus has a four component strategy for references (ant.3.1.1) as
there is a Hebrew reference system for Psalms that is employs four
components (Ps.1.1.a).  If a verse using a four component reference
system were to be segmented then it should be referenced using the
grain.  (ant.3.1.1@char:41(wonderful))

I attempted to use this strategy in the sample of Matt.13.1-Matt.13.23
that I sent last night.

Is there any error in the references I used in that file?  (I know that
I did not use the correct character offsets values for the references in
the <lineGroup>.  Just lazy late a night.)

This laziness might be point to the need for a useful alternative grain
strategy that is easier to encode.  Arbitrary comes to mind
(Matt.13.3@arb:a) but word based would also be much easier than
character (Matt.13.3@word:9(Once) rather than Matt.13.3@char:43(Once)).

I am not arguing for the removal of char as a grain type or even as the
default.  Just proposing that at least word be added as an alternative.

I am also arguing that "apparent" partial verse identifiers not be used
for segmented verses.

Can we adopt the "word" and possibly "arb" as standard grain values?

Can we adopt the above describe reference strategy as a "best practice"
for references of verses that are segmented.

Todd