[osis-core] Shadow milestones

Tue, 02 Jul 2002 16:18:03 -0400

Steve,

Steve DeRose wrote:

<snip>

>> Can you say a word or two about "shadow milestones?" Understand that
>> Bob needs/wants them and we agreed to provide but not sure how they
>> differ from a regular milestone? Is this an attribute sort of thingy?
>

> No, basically he just wants a special milestone to drop in, typical
> slightly earlier than the real start of chapter/verse/whatever, that
> means 'If asked for this reference, scroll here instead of to the
> actual place where the referenced text starts'. This is definitely
> useful, though most people won't encode it.
>
> Actually, I wonder if this should be a processing instruction? that's
> what it is conceptually.....

Would this be a case where I ask for Matthew.1.1 and it actually takes
me to the start of Matthew.1 so I see the lead-in notes? As opposed to
going directly to Matthew.1.1? (Some people might find that useful, I
would find it annoying. ;-)

So, <milestone osisID="S-Matt.1.1"> where the S- is used only in
milestones to mark such locations? Seems easier than a special form of
milestone.

Would allow him to link some references to the actual Matt.1.1 and
others to the shadow milestone.

Comments?