[osis-core] osisCore_Candiate_1.1_003 - 11 osisRef URLs

Steve DeRose osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 11:50:09 -0400

At 10:32 AM -0400 08/26/02, Harry Plantinga wrote:
>  > The <a> element, on the other hand, carries only the notion that the
>>  surrounded text is a pointer to other material. The material
>>  pointed to
>>  may confirm, contradict, or expand, contract what is said in
>>  the text or
>>  may be completely irrelevant. The relationship between the
>>  content of an
>>  <a> element, without more in the markup, is just undefined.
>>
>>  I don't see traversal as being the defintion
>>
>>  Harry, does that capture the essence of what you were saying?
>
>Um, well, I did have optional traversal as being part of the
>definition. (We computer scientists like to consider algorithm
>to be as fundamental to nature as semantics or laws -- or perhaps
>moreso -- not something that always has to be avoided in
>speaking of semantics. See Steven Wolfram's latest book, in
>which he claims to re-do all of science in terms of algorithms
>rather than laws, thereby achieving a deeper understanding.)

:)

Did you hear that someone just found a polynomial time
prime-factorization algorithms with guaranteed correctness? Sadly,
it's O(ln**12(n)), which is a lot slower than existing "almost sure
to be correct" solutions. But it's average time is way better than
that, and there is hope of speeding it up further. So much for
encryption technology if so....

--

Steve DeRose -- http://www.stg.brown.edu/~sjd
Chair, Bible Technologies Group -- http://www.bibletechnologies.net