[osis-core] Questions about osisRefs

Thu, 22 Aug 2002 10:46:07 -0600

> > >3.  I want to refer to Psalm.20 (KJV reference system) of the
English
> > >    LXX.
> > >
> > >    [same <work> entry as above]
> > >
> > >    <reference osisRef="lxx_en(Bible.KJV):Psalm.20">
> > >
> > I am not certain why the reference system should be in the attribute
> > value. Changing your work declaration slightly:
> >
> > <work osisWork="lxx_en" refSystem="Bible.KJV">
> > 	    <title>Septuagint</title>
> > 	    <language>en</language>
> > 	  </work>
> >

> > allows you to later say:
> >
> > <reference osisRef="lxx_en:Psalm.20"> without any loss of
> > information,
> > correct? Recall that while we may see this as different, that
> > difference
> > is only visual and not informational. I could parse the
> > attribute string
> > in your original example and by some rule deduce that the
> > resource was
> > using the KJV reference system or a system could process the
> > reference
> > to the information in <work> and discover the same thing. I think
the
> > later is easier to write, although harder for a person to resolve
> > efficiently.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> I like your approach much better.

> I am assuming that the osisWork value has no meaning outside this
> document. Is that correct?
>
> I am assuming that in a string like lxx_en:Psalm.20, the lxx_en value
> has no meaning outside the document. It is just a reference to a
> <work osisWork="lxx_en"> element.
>
> I could define Bible.KJV: in my document to be Augustine's
> confessions. Right?
>
> -Harry

I am assuming that REFERENCE SYSTEM value that precedes the ":" in a
reference has global meaning.

As stated earlier we can implement an aliasing system if we needed it.
I would rather put it off and use "fully formed" references and not put
a burden on document uses to substitute the standard reference system
for the aliased values.

Todd