[osis-core] Reference Syntax Proposal

Troy A. Griffitts osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Fri, 02 Aug 2002 12:34:26 -0700

Harry,
	Your excellent questions brought to my mind the thought that my previous
example is probably misrepresenting the suggestions made by Steve below.

Steve wrote:
 > I think we'd be alright simply putting the whole verse's ID on each
 > part, and let them be distinguished via the next/prev stuff. Yes, it
 > does mean that you get 3 'hits' (or whatever) for a verse retrieval.

I think maybe this would be better without the '[ab]'.  Unless an
explicit ref target of Mat.1.6.a (or 'b') was intended, which means that
we're defining our own ref system and then including BOTH Mat.1.6 and
Mat.1.6.a would seem to be desired.

         <title>The Ancestors of Jesus Christ</title>
ancestors of Jesus Christ, a descendant of David, who was a descendant
of Abraham.</verseEnd>
Matt.1.6"><title>Matthew 1:2-6a</title>From Abraham to King David, the
following
ancestors are listed: Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Judah and his brothers;
then Perez and Zerah (their mother was Tamar), Hezron, Ram, Amminadab,
Nahshon, Salmon, Boaz (his mother was Rahab), Obed (his mother was
Ruth), Jesse, and King David.</verse>
Matt.1.10 Matt.1.11"><title>Matthew 1:6b-11</title>David to the time
when the people of Israel were taken into exile
in Babylon, the following ancestors are listed: David, Solomon (his
mother was the woman who had been Uriah's wife), Rehoboam, Abijah, Asa,
Jehoshaphat, Jehoram, Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, Hezekiah, Manasseh, Amon,
Josiah, and Jehoiachin and his brothers.</verse>

> Suppose that Matt.1, Matt.1.1, and Matt.1.2 are defined in a ref
> system.  Suppose I put all of Matt.1 in a big div, so I can access
> the whole chapter at once, but the div has to be split. Perhaps
> I'd call the pieces Matt.1.a and Matt.1.b.  Matt.1.a contains
> Matt.1.1 and Matt.1.2.

Per Steve's suggestion, both split divs of Matt.1 would include the
osisID of 'Matt.1'.  And maybe also include next/prev.  Steve would have
to confirm that, either way.

> If I try to get Matt.1 by searching for all elements with osisID
> of Matt.1.*, I'm going to come up with Matt.1.1, Matt.1.2 as well as
> Matt.1.a, Matt.1.b.  Matt.1.1 and Matt.1.2 will be in the result
> list twice -- in fact, all of Matt.1 may be duplicated in the result
> list.

Applying Patricks rule to your example would resolve to the first test
and quit, if I understand it correctly.

[Patricks rule:

This is based on the defined behavior for processing being:

A. Match on exact string match: Ex. Matt.1.6 matches Matt.1.6. If that
fails,

B. Match on Matt.1.6.*. If that fails,

C. Match on Matt.1.6.*.*. If that fails,

]