[osis-core] OSIS: linking

Mon, 08 Apr 2002 12:37:23 -0400

>Do you have any good examples?

Unfortunately full XLink support is not common (yet!). Closest thing so
far is from http://4suite.org/ and perhaps from Fujitsu (I have written
for an update on their software, XLIP).

For a largely theoretical discussion you can check out Rusty Harold's
XML Bible, or the online version of the relevant chapter at:
http://www.ibiblio.org/xml/books/bible2/chapters/ch19.html

It is something that I think is really needed for a number of purposes
but given the utility of simple HTML links for flat-texters there does
not seem to be much of a push to make it happen. (Even the Amaya browser
from the W3C does not support XLinks, but being the home of flat-texters
that is not all that surprising. What is surprising is that they let
Steve do such a good job with XLink/XPointer.)