[mobile-devel] Thoughts regarding future And Bible enhancements

Guan YC yc.guan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 09:01:26 MST 2011

hi,
great plan.

2011/1/30 Martin Denham <mjdenham at gmail.com>

> I have started thinking about the next enhancements to And Bible and would
> like to give people a chance to comment.  The items in the first list I have
> been thinking about and am probably ready to implement.  Please comment if
> you have any thoughts or opinions regarding implementation or regarding
> items you would like to see or not see in And Bible.  Items in the second
> list I would like to implement but am not yet ready.  Items in the last list
> I have no plans yet to implement.  People seem to like the recently added
> grid navigation and that was pushed through because of comments from this
> group:
>
> *Possibly Next Release*
>
> *Speech
> *
> *I have spent too long thinking about how best to do this.*
> Aim: Allow multiple sequential or diverse chapters to be queued for speech.
>  Alternative 1: Simple enhancement so that if Speech button is pressed on a
> chapter not being spoken the chapter is added to the speech for queue.  If
> Speech is pressed on a chapter just requested to be spoken then all speech
> is aborted.
> Possibility to allow fewer presses by moving the Speech button to the first
> screen of menu buttons but which button to remove and how to know if user
> can/does use Speech.
> Alternative 2: Show Speech Dialog when Speech button is pressed but this
> would involve a lot more button presses.
> Alternative 3: Add stateful Speak button beside Quick Link buttons (at top)
> in Portrait mode (more room) if selected in Settings.  The Speak/Silent
> button would switch between the several states Speak, 2 Chapters, 4
> Chapters, Book, Silent.
> My vote: I prefer Alternative 3 or possibly Alternative 1 because I feel a
> dialog just to add a chapter is overkill and could frustrate users.

  +1

> *Remove Create Index Button*
> Does anybody use it?

    -1, the chinese analyzer may need this button

> *Small Changes*
> More wait cursors e.g. when searching.
> Formatting of text needs more consistency and tidying.
> Splash screen needs better layout.
> Large screen Tablets can't scroll to last verse.
> Nav to Verse or Chapter Setting to optionally 3rd level to Navigation

  +1

> *Later Release*
> These are things I would like to do but not yet.
> *
> *
> *Improve Formatting*
> Important and ongoing.  I have really focussed on ESV but need to look at
> others more closely.
> *
> *
> *Fancy Header*
> It could be prettier but it needs to be small.  The Android Twitter ui is
> supposed to be a good model but the Toolbar there is very wide.  Also some
> have suggested allowing full page viewing but I am not sure.
>
> *Navigation*
> I don't like putting my fingers all over the screen I am reading but
> thumbwheels are not so common now so maybe: touch right/left edge to go
> forward back a chapter, touch bottom corner to scroll down.
>
> *Gen Book Module Support*
> Support CrossWire book modules
> *
> *
> *Book Speaker*
> I really like the TTS and would like to use it with Books
>
> *Chinese Search*
> I had to disable this a few releases ago but I have no visibility of the
> number of Chinese users of And Bible so don't know the priority.

    ( youversion.com 's Bible has formed a Chinese user community to spread
its uses).

    and i have implemented Chinese search using one analyzer from   '
http://code.google.com/p/mmseg4j/' ( the file jar is 95k ),   and it's
apache license.

    and tested a few words for ChiUNS version.  I'll test  more words and
more Chinese versions in a day or two on Simulator and my N1.

> *Reading Plan*
> I did not know how many people use a reading plan until recently.

   +1 reading plans are great feature!

> *Twitter & Facebook Integration*
> Maybe somebody would like to contribute the code*.  **I am not even on
> Twitter.*

    Intent intent_share = new Intent(Intent.ACTION_SEND);
    intent_share.setType("text/plain");
     intent_share.putExtra(Intent.EXTRA_SUBJECT, book+ chapter);
     intent_share.putExtra(Intent.EXTRA_TEXT, verses);

     startActivityForResult(Intent.createChooser(intent_share, "Share"),
1);

    menu popup for facebook , twitter, mail,  short message and others,
    not perfect but the lines works  ( though not work  for long verses text
)

--

God be with you!
主与你同在!