[jsword-devel] Changes to JSword and BibleDesktop

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Sun Oct 15 16:53:00 MST 2017

JSword and BibleDesktop didn’t compile cleanly with Java 9. In our reflection code we called newInstance(), which no longer exists. The changes I made require Java 7 at a minimum.

I also added methods to get chapter counts in Versification. And I finished the Ruby/Glosses support (I forgot to check in a file earlier.)

The adapter to run BibleDesktop on the Mac has been updated to Java 8. Getting to Java 9 takes an entire rewrite. I’m working on that.

I’ve tried NetBeans with Java 9 support (I had to build it from source). Quite impressive. I’ll be seeing if we can use the module system, Jigsaw, to skinny down the JVM for embedding.

On another note, Java 9 has AOT (ahead of time) compilation. With Gluon (gluonhq.com), it looks like one could build Java 9 for Android and iOS. But Yet To Be Released.

In Him,