[jsword-devel] JSword APIExample errors

Tim Hawes trhawes at althusius.net
Sat Jan 7 14:50:55 MST 2017

Hi Martin,

I got jsword to compile. Where I am stuck is an example of returning styled text for a reference. The APIExamples.java compiles, but then throws:

The plain text of Gen 1:1 is In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth .

        at org.crosswire.jsword.util.ConverterFactory.getConverter(ConverterFactory.java:51)

        at com.selfdidactic.sword.App.readStyledText(App.java:162)

        at com.selfdidactic.sword.App.main(App.java:462)

the code in question:

    public String readStyledText(String bookInitials, String reference, int maxKeyCount) throws NoSuchKeyException, BookException, TransformerException,

            SAXException

    {

        Book book = getBook(bookInitials);

        SAXEventProvider osissep = getOSIS(bookInitials, reference, maxKeyCount);

        if (osissep == null) {

            return "";

        }

        Converter styler = ConverterFactory.getConverter();

I figured if I could at least get bibledesktop to compile and work, I could use that as my reference point, but alas, I cannot find bibledesktop code that will compile.

---- On Sat, 07 Jan 2017 16:41:26 -0500 Martin Denham <mjdenham at gmail.com> wrote ----

Hi Tim,

>From memory I believe there were issues with the tests if you did not have some modules like KJV installed.

However, I am not the best person to answer as I have not worked on JSword for quite a long time.

Martin

jsword-devel at crosswire.org

Can anyone point me to working code?

Please see my previous attached emails to this list for details. Thank you.

---- On Sun, 01 Jan 2017 15:19:52 -0500 Tim Hawes <trhawes at althusius.net> wrote ----

Well, I found the SVN repo, and checked out everything under trunk. Jsword compiles, but the APIExamples still fail to run with the same null pointer exception. Looking to bibledesktop as a potential running example that uses jsword, but it fails to compile (missing dependency in the crosswire maven repo).

I am just looking for some working examples that I can begin working with. Can someone point me in the right direction?

---- On Mon, 26 Dec 2016 12:01:13 -0500 Tim Hawes <trhawes at althusius.net> wrote ----

jsword-devel at crosswire.org

I am currently trying to get my head around the JSword source. My Java knowledge is not extensive, and in fact, I am working on a Clojure wrapper on the JSword Java source.

The latest JSword code in the git repo fails to build with this message:

Results :

Failed tests:

  DwrBridgeMissingAssetsTest.testIndexed:75

  DwrBridgeMissingAssetsTest.testSearch:83 expected:<[Exo 5:4, 6:13, 26-27, 7:19, 8:5, 16, 12:1, 16:6, 32:1, Num 14:2, 26:59, 33:1, Jos 24:5, 1Sa 12:6, 8, Mic 6:4, Act 7:40]> but was:<[]>

Tests in error:

  LuceneIndexManagerTest.testInstalledVersionEqualToLatestVersion:73->createOrUpgradeIndex:56 » NoClassDefFound

  LuceneIndexManagerTest.testInstalledVersionMetadataFileNotExisting:96 ExceptionInInitializer

  FileVersificationMappingTest.testVersifications:71 » NullPointer

If I checkout the JSword 2.1 release, it compiles fine. However, when I compile APIExamples.java and try to run it, I get:

SLF4J: Failed to load class "org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder".

SLF4J: Defaulting to no-operation (NOP) logger implementation

SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#StaticLoggerBinder for further details.

The plain text of Gen 1:1 is In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth .

        at org.crosswire.jsword.util.ConverterFactory.getConverter(ConverterFactory.java:51)

        at com.selfdidactic.sword.App.readStyledText(App.java:162)

        at com.selfdidactic.sword.App.main(App.java:462)

the code in question:

    public String readStyledText(String bookInitials, String reference, int maxKeyCount) throws NoSuchKeyException, BookException, TransformerException,

            SAXException

    {

        Book book = getBook(bookInitials);

        SAXEventProvider osissep = getOSIS(bookInitials, reference, maxKeyCount);

        if (osissep == null) {

            return "";

        }

        Converter styler = ConverterFactory.getConverter();

Any insight on this?

jsword-devel at crosswire.org

jsword-devel at crosswire.org