[jsword-devel] Out of Memory Issues Loading repo module lists

Martin Denham mjdenham at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 12:19:22 MST 2016

Testing And Bible on a couple of smaller devices I have noticed OutOfMemory
errors during the creation of SwordBookMetaData when attempting to get a
list of downloadable modules from a repo.  I can just about load the eBible
repo or all the other repos but get out of memory errors when loading all
repos.  I can no longer even load just the Crosswire repo alone on my old
G1.

All the memory consumed by the list of downloadable modules is consumed by
the BookMetaData i.e. bmd.configAll and bmd.configSword.

I have been struggling to analyse memory usage by SwordBookMetaData and so
I thought I would raise the issue here for comments.

My small test Android devices only have about 64Mb of heap, much of which
is used by other system classes.

Sizes for the list of Books:
Crosswire 318 modules 10Mb
eBible 680 modules 41Mb

The size of Crosswire conf files is normally less than 1k so 318*1k = 318k
The size of eBible conf files is up to about 6k so 680*6k = 4megs

So I suspect an inefficiency in JSword but have been pulling my hair out
trying to find the issue.  I tweaked a couple of things but nothing made a
lot of difference.

Has anybody else noticed anything similar?

Martin