[jsword-devel] HttpURLConnection - HttpClient

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Tue Jul 7 07:25:44 MST 2015

I’ll look into using the ftp:// protocol of the URL. If it provides the same functionality (e.g. recurisive download of a folder and its contents) and uses the FTP service (i.e. logs into the FTP logs) it will be acceptable for FTP.

Troy would like FTP to be our primary d/l mechansim as it is for SWORD. He has no problems with us grabbing the zip, but he sees the zip as a cache with no guarantee of presence.That is the cache is populated manually by a user doing a download of the zip over HTTP. If a cache is a miss then fall back to recursive folder download. I’ve got a working example of FTP module download, but haven’t melded it into JSword.

— DM

> On Jul 7, 2015, at 2:48 AM, Manfred Bergmann <manfred.bergmann at me.com> wrote:
>
> I have made good experiences using URLConnection/HttpURLConnection.
> Lack of protocol support (ftp) might be a reason to use something else. Otherwise not IMO.
>

> Manfred
>

>> Am 04.07.2015 um 23:16 schrieb Martin Denham <mjdenham at gmail.com>:
>>
>> Regarding 'Do you know if they have FTP support as well' this article shows an example of using URLConnection to download over ftp.
>>
>> Martin
>>
>> On 4 July 2015 at 17:41, DM Smith <dmsmith at crosswire.org> wrote:
>> If we can do it without disruption to desktop apps, i.e. non-Android, I’m fine with changing to something different. I’d be happy to test it in BibleDesktop.
>> Do you know if they have FTP support as well. I’m nearly done with adding SWORD style FTP support.
>>
>> Also, I’d like to suggest that we figure out how to modify the User Agent of the request to indicate the application name. We’d like to quantify the downloads by app and perhaps the version of the app.
>>
>> — DM
>>
>>> On Jul 4, 2015, at 9:10 AM, Martin Denham <mjdenham at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Does anybody have any thoughts or considerations regarding the use of HttpClient by JSword as opposed to the use of HttpURLConnection?
>>>
>>> Recently I investigated the use of And Bible on Chrome using ARC Welder and discovered that Apache HttpClient is currently incompatible with Chromium (see issue) .  Then I also stumbled over this recommendation by Google to use HttpURLConnection on Android rather than other http clients.
>>>
>>> I realise Android is just one of many OSs that JSword runs on but wondered what thoughts people might have regarding the use of this library as opposed to HttpURLConnection.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Martin