[jsword-devel] Announcing MinimalBible - Bible app for Android on JSword

Bradlee Speice bspeice.nc at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 17:11:39 MST 2015

Awesome. First question: Am I doing something wrong searching?
After downloading a Bible, I go through the following code to search:

IndexManager manager = IndexManagerFactory.getIndexManager();
manager.setIndexPolicy(new IndexPolicyAdapter());
manager.scheduleIndexCreation(downloadedBook);

// Code runs, downloadedBook.getIndexStatus() is DONE
String searchText = SearchType.ANY_WORDS.decorate(text);
Key results = downloadedBook.find(searchText);

// And results.getCardinality() is 0, meaning no results.

This might not be enough information, if so, let me know, but I never
get any search results back. I tried to closely imitate And-bible, but
can’t seem to get anything.

Anyway, if you have ideas, let me know! In the mean time, thank you for
the warm reception!

-Bradlee Speice

On 02/05/2015 06:23 PM, Chris Burrell wrote:

> Sure fire away!
>
> You should link in with Martin D as well as he has lots of experience
> with android and jsword.
>
> Also so you know step (www.stepbible.org <http://www.stepbible.org/>)
> will be releasing an app at some point too.
>
> Chris
>
> On 5 February 2015 at 22:56, Bradlee Speice <bspeice.nc at gmail.com
> <mailto:bspeice.nc at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello all!
>
>     First of all, thank you so much for your work building the JSword
>     backend. Having something like this that is open-source is a huge
>     win for developers and people all over the world.
>
>     That said, the past couple of months I’ve been working on a new
>     Bible app. I wasn’t satisfied with the experience using any of the
>     software available for Android, and so designed an app myself.
>     It’s certainly not feature-complete, but I wanted to at least let
>     you know it was in existence, and see if there would be any
>     interest in helping with its development.
>
>     The app is called MinimalBible (very creative, I know), and is
>     being developed on Github over here
>     <https://github.com/MinimalBible/MinimalBible>. Additionally, I’ve
>     been keeping a blog of my development experience here
>     <http://minimalbible.github.io/> as well. It’s not publicly
>     available on the Play store yet, but I do have alpha testing in
>     progress through the Play store with a few friends.
>
>     MinimalBible is designed to be focused on an experience as close
>     to reading an actual Bible as possible. I don’t plan to use
>     reading plans, videos, sharing features, but want an app that
>     starts quickly and helps me focus on the actual content.
>     Additionally, the app has been designed to be Material-compliant
>     for Android 5.0, uses the latest SDK, but supports all the way
>     back to SDK v8. Development is done using the new Android studio,
>     and I have a toolchain set up for automated builds and code coverage.
>
>     Again, thank you for all your work building the JSword foundation
>     so developers like me can re-use the work. It’s greatly
>     appreciated. Would you guys also be willing to help answer some
>     questions on JSword? I'm having issues with searching right now.
>
>     Have a great day!
>
>     -Bradlee Speice

​
​