[jsword-devel] SimpleOsisParser - parsing whole chapter refs

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Mon Sep 1 08:22:57 MST 2014

Meant to respond to your first email. This is needed. Hope to review it soon. Work is crazy.

The challenge with interpreting Gen.1 is that you have to know if it stands alone is the left part of a range or the right part of the range. When it stands alone it refers to the whole chapter, when it is the first part of a range it means the first verse of the chapter and if is the end of the range then it is the last verse of the range.

We also have the complication that of what the first verse or the whole chapter means. Does it include verse 0?

Since the start and the end of an OSIS range have to be valid OSIS refs the parsing of a range is much easier than user input ranges which might be like Gen 1:2-5. The -5 is ambiguous and has to be interpreted in context of what stands in front of it.

-- DM