[jsword-devel] Recent updates

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Wed Mar 5 18:23:57 MST 2014

On Mar 5, 2014, at 5:44 PM, Martin Denham <mjdenham at gmail.com> wrote:

> Are there any important fixes that have been made to JSword during the last few weeks?
>
> I am planning a patch release to And Bible to fix a few small errors.  I don't plan to include all recent JSword updates in this patch release because some of the changes are fairly significant changes.
>
> My last pull was:
> DM Smith <dmsmith at crosswire.org> on 03/02/14 04:33
> 030d4c1b512296d6c89f7066dc5246d03159fa83
> Fixed a null pointer error in LuceneIndex close.
> Used IOUtil to close closable resources.

I won't go over them piece by piece but at major points you might want to consider:
The changes upto the following are just cleanup and shouldn't have any impact on your code:
07cd243 on February 10, 2014 at 2:26:18 PM EST
Cleanup of Versification Mapper classes.
Added missing license
put private variables at bottom of class
Added/cleaned up JavaDoc
Removed unneeded casts.
Cleaned up CheckStyle complaints.

After that commit, the goal was to move to VerseRange and a fast parser for Chris' mapping code. This was a performance optimization.
This was done in stages.
The next commit to consider is:
0f3fbc6 on February 13, 2014 at 10:56:08 PM EST
Merge branch 'osisify'
These changes should just make your code faster and not change how it works.

Then:
5052d1d on March 1, 2014 at 3:15:39 PM EST
Which brings together all the parts of making mapping faster.

This includes the addition of BZip2, Gzip and XZ, but this code won't be exercised for a while. But the same commit (4f77188) also changes the 3rd-party jars in the POM. At this point, other than Apache Commons Compress, you can stay with the old jars. No changes were made due to these upgrades.

Beyond this point is a bit risky. I'm seeing problems with the change to WebResource at 9a03a34 (staying with the prior code is safe, but the new code is preventing downloads.)

After this WebResource commit, there are some fixes you may want to cherry pick:
4da9a83 on March 1, 2014 at 10:32:34 PM EST -- Fixes the Verse.toString() NPE
90297ec on March 2, 2014 at 1:00:14 PM EST -- Fixes an NPE when changing from KJV v11n to another v11n when verse 0 is included in the range to display.
55bb7be on March 2, 2014 at 10:11:29 PM EST -- Fixes a bug that said the NT started w/ Genesis.
96ba5d8 on March 2, 2014 at 10:21:40 PM EST -- Changes the Polish language name to Polski.
f9d0237 on March 3, 2014 at 9:16:40 PM EST -- Improves the bad xref warning to not include stack trace.

Obviously, you'll want all the fixes you've supplied.

I'm working on fixing the delete of a book immediately after downloading it. But I have to fix or revert the WebResource code first.

Hope this helps,