[jsword-devel] New versification mapping - preload mappings to prevent pauses

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Wed Jan 22 09:17:36 MST 2014

On Jan 21, 2014, at 8:42 PM, Peter von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 2014-01-21 at 15:05 -0500, DM Smith wrote:
>
>> JSword does support these. A SWORD Daily Devotion is far more than just a list of verses per day, though it can be that.
>
> Yes, I thought that (both statements above). Which makes me think what
> is the benefit of encouraging people to create Bible reading plans which
> would not be usable by libsword users? Conceptually Bible reading plans
> are nothing but very simple daily devotionals, but they have a huge
> value for users.

We've talked about user sharing content before and it never really went anywhere. Typically it is concerning personal commentaries. Or with personal modules.

Agreed that they are very simple daily devotionals.

We also need a simple way to create them. Some have suggested a rule engine that would construct a listing of passages.

> I agree that the localisation you mention of references is a useful
> feature of JSword reading plans over daily devotional modules, but am
> wondering if this could be implemented within the engines in other way?

I didn't mean the references. JSword already does that when it can. Especially, converting the numbers into Arabic.

I meant the title of the reading plan, which is something like "NT 2x and OT 1x per year".

> If we had the ability to tag and interpret appropriately:
>
> <reference osisRef="Luke.1.1"><div
> x-translatable="true">Luke.1.1</div></reference> or some such
>
> we could then create a filter item for parsing and converting acc user
> desired locale the <div x-translatable="true">Luke.1.1</div> bit (or
> however we want to tag that central bit.

Yes today's representation is not appropriate for full internationalization.

As long as OSIS references do not contain extraneous content (such as commas, words like "and"), this can already be done by the engine.

Having it be more than a file w/ one line (or two) per day is overkill. The module format is overkill and hard for sharing as it is many files. But it is easy.

$$$01.01
Gen.1 Mat.1 Ezr.1 Act.1
$$$01.02
Gen.2 Mat.2 Ezr.2 Act.2
$$$01.03
Gen.3 Mat.3 Ezr.3 Act.3
$$$01.04
Gen.4 Mat.4 Ezr.4 Act.4

One problem with such a devotional is that it is presented by days of the year. (Bible Desktop does it this way)

It might be nicer to have it be a check list. One can start at any time during the year. When the reading is done, it is checked off. The next request, which may not be the next day, gets the next unchecked entry.

Another problem with using OSIS, ThML, ... for such a module is that it presumes a particular way of rendering the content. It uses a general purpose filter for rendering.

The above is in text form of osisRefs. but is not marked up as OSIS. It would be up to the front-end to format this in a meaningful way. E.g. a bullet list, all on the same line, reference followed by the first 10 words of content from a default module (perhaps a commentary), ...

> All required infrastructure is available in both engines, adding it
> would be useful in way more places than just daily devotionals.

JSword lacks the ability to create such a module. It would be fairly straight forward to add it.

> Just thinking loud....

> Peter
Me too...