[jsword-devel] New versification mapping - preload mappings to prevent pauses

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Tue Jan 21 13:05:58 MST 2014

On Jan 21, 2014, at 2:45 PM, Peter von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 2014-01-21 at 18:39 +0000, Martin Denham wrote:
>> I wonder if there would be any advantage in using the OSIS Ref Parser to
>> load Reading Plans into And Bible, which look a bit like the v11n mapping
>> files but tend to refer to chapters.
>>
>> AB has various reading plans in properties files like:
>>
>> 1=Gen 1, Mat 1, Ezr 1, Act 1
>> 2=Gen 2, Mat 2, Ezr 2, Act 2
>> 3=Gen 3, Mat 3, Ezr 3, Act 3
>> 4=Gen 4, Mat 4, Ezr 4, Act 4
>
> I am not entirely sure why you need to re-implement what is available
> within sword as "daily devotional" module - basically a dictionary
> module keyed to days/weeks/months and some added logic to create the
> calendaric interface.
>
> http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/DevTools:Modules#IMP_Format

It is a feature of JSword to have a reading plan. I've been working on JSword now for almost 10 years and it was there when I started.

I think that it was a proof of concept that one could have modules other than SWORD modules. But it was made visible in Bible Desktop from the start as a built-in reading plan.

There have been several request for users to be able to build their own reading plans. Douglas has just asked about these wrt Pericope.

The other thing that JSword's reading plans have is internationalization of the name of the reading plan.

>> For daily devotionals, you must encode the key as "$$$mm.dd", such as
> "$$$01.01" for January 1st and "$$$12.31" for December 31st.
>
> Or does jsword not support these?

JSword does support these. A SWORD Daily Devotion is far more than just a list of verses per day, though it can be that.