[jsword-devel] New versification mapping - preload mappings to prevent pauses

Martin Denham mjdenham at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 11:10:21 MST 2014

Hi,

I have integrated the new v11n mapping code and find I am getting a pause
when doing the initial mapping between any 2 v11ns.

I originally had the same problem with the AB mapping code so pre-loaded
all mapping required for the installed set of documents at the start in a
background thread to prevent delays.  The code I used is in
VersificationMappingFactory.initialiseRequiredMappings()<https://github.com/mjdenham/and-bible/blob/master/AndBible/src/net/bible/android/control/versification/mapping/VersificationMappingFactory.java>
.

I am trying to think of the best way to do this in the new code.  Either i)
you could add a method to do it which could be called or ii) you could
proeload all required mappings automatically or iii) add a new method to
allow AB (or other frontend) to trigger preload of all required mappings by
adding a public method a bit like the new
VersificationsMapper.ensure(v11ntopreload).

This is quite an issue for mobile users.  I have a fast mobile and loading
a mapping causes a noticeable delay the first time a verse changes, but the
preload fix is fairly simple and worked well.

Cheers
Martin