[jsword-devel] 'heading' analyzer

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Sat Apr 19 19:36:54 MST 2014

On Apr 19, 2014, at 10:18 PM, Sijo Cherian <sijo.cherian at gmail.com> wrote:

> As I was thinking about Chris' requirement to stem the heading:
>
> Shouldn't the 'heading' & 'intro' fields be analyzed using same analyzer as 'content'?
> since they all seem to be of same nature and language text.

The nature of an introduction is that it is not subject to the same exactness of search that the 'content' is expected to have. This is a difference between verse text and non-verse text.

I think it would be reasonable for non-verse text to ignore stop words. My personal preference is that analyzing verse text does not ignore stop words.

Some examples of non-verse text: notes, most titles, all introductions, commentaries.

> Since this field is not used in free text query, and only impacts fielded query, is there objection to changing the analyzer for 'heading' & 'intro' fields.

I have none.